The Poli-Grip Sandwich
Posted: 07 March 2011 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2011-03-07

I don’t know how it was for most but my path to Rimbach started after graduation from DLI with a flight to Frankfurt/Main where I spent a few days at the replacement deopt before being given a train ticket to Field Station Rothwesten. There I in-processed. From Rothwesten I was given another train ticket to Field Station Herzogenauerach where I learned to drive military vehicles from a guy universally called “Herman the German.” I had never driven stick-shift vehicles so I was nervous and tentative and he constantly wacked me on the arm yelling “faster, faster”. I must have done well enough as I got my Army driver’s livense. From Herzo Base I was given yet another train ticket to, might have been Kötzting (spelling?). Anyway, somebody must have tipped off the detachment that I was coming. When I stepped off the train Eugene Zadra (Z-Man) was there to meet me. We piled into an old, beat-up IH Carryall and headed to Rimbach. Along the way Z-Man announces he is hungry and wants to get a bite to eat. I assumed we would pull into a gasthaus or imbiss or someplace like that. Nope. Z-Man stops in front of an Edeka and goes in a buys some sliced bread, sliced ham and a tube of mustard. He gets back in the IH and we start back on the road. While he is driving Z-Man begins to prepare his sandwich. Oh, did I mention that while he was building his sandwich Z-Man was driving with his elbows? So, he has a slice of bread in one hand and the tube of mustard in the other. He squeezes an artistic pattern of mustard all over the bread. Oh, did I mention that while he was doing this he was paying absolutely no attention to the road? Z-Man had just finished mustarding his sandwich when we drove off the road and into the roadside ditch. So far not too bad. Then we came to the end of the ditch. Oh, did I mention that we were driving about 20 miles per hour over the speed limit? We hit the end of the ditch with a tremendous bang and the carryall flew up into the air.  Inside we too flew up in the air as did Z-Man’s sandwich. We came back down into our seats. The sandwich, however, did not. It glued itself to the interior roof of the carryall, the mustard acting like poli-grip. There I sat, rumpled and thunderstruck as I kept glancing at the sandwich stuck to the roof and at Z-Man. Throughout all of this he kept his composure and calmly began making another sandwich while he had me hold the steering wheel. Finished, he took an enormous bite of his sandwich and with his mouth bulging he grunted at me “Welcome to Rimbach”. The rest, they say, is history.

Signature 

Bruce

Posted: 07 March 2011 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1434
Joined  2008-08-18

LOL! And welcome to the Rimbach Vets site! We’re all “geezers” these days, and it’s stories like that that keep us going. Like you, most of us remember our time in Rimbach like it was yesterday — except for the names and lot of the facts. wink

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 12 December 2011 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-03-19

Ahhh.. the Z-Man. He was with us many years later, I think in early 1982. He was famous for being the most senior E-6 in the army, or so the tale went. Some where I have a picture of another VW Microbus he ran into another ditch on his way up the hill. Some say it was a deer, and yet, some know it was other influential liquids! Any one know what happened to the ZMan??

Signature 

Joe Greene
La Faire Vite
1979- 1982