Hal Toye
Posted: 18 January 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  950
Joined  2008-09-29

I received this January 17 via Jim DePouw

Just got this from Walt Jensen about Hal. He had told me a week ago that he didn’t think he would make it until I came out there in Feb. Guess he was right. I will see if I can get his mothers info and let u know in case anyone wants to send a card. Charlie, I don’t know if Dave Vaughn is still in Germany or if he has headed to Florida but If you or Jim would see if you can contact Dave and let him know, I would appreciate that. Will let everyone know any info I find. Thanks

Jim D

I called Big Dave but he had already seen this e-mail.

Good morning. I am a friend of Hal’s. Even met him in Germany when he was on a trip there a few years ago. Our son is stationed in Villseck no tfar from Hal’s daughter & family.

There is no easy way to say this. Hal sent me an E-mail and asked me to let you know when he passed away. I am sad to tell you that we just received a call. Hal passed away . His Mom found him yesterday. He was supposed to take her shopping. I do not know any details other than I am sure it was the cancer he had.

I have no information on any services ? I do know that he will be intered at Rosecrans,and that he wanted me to do a video of the services for his daughter & grandson.

My last conversation with Hal was only 2 days ago. He joked about being around for the Super Bowl because he had an investment in the game. I told him it was good to set shprt term goals,one day at a time. He had just been given 5 months. His spirits were good. He knew it would be soon. Of course we never expect it when it happens. in a way this may be the best because he was not in much suffering pain yet !!! He knew that was coming.

Hal will be missed by all of his American Legion friends. He had been a fixture around our Post 460 for many years. I still can not beleive how much beer he could consume when he was drinking !!! But then I was drinking back then. Never tried to keep up with him ! Army beat Navy in that round ! I was Army 2 years then Navy for 23.

Sincerely ,
Walt Jensen HTCM (E-9) USN RETIRED

I have intentionally left of personal contact information of Walt Jensen. Jim DePouw and Dave Vaughn will fill in the details.

Menz

Signature 

Chad Rat
ASA 67-71

Posted: 19 January 2013 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1434
Joined  2008-08-18

This is sad news. I first met Hal during our first 2004 reunion, IIRC, and found him a super guy and full of stories of before my time.

Be at peace, Rimbacher.

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 20 January 2013 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  950
Joined  2008-09-29

Further information via Jim DePouw

Got this yesterday from American Legion post where Hal was a member. If you could post to Rimbachvets, i would appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 18, 2013, 2:06:02 PM EST
To: Jim De Pouw <depouw@dssafety.net>
Subject: Hal’s Mother

Hi Jim,
  The address for Hal Toye’s mother is:  Catherine Toye, 2521 E. Third Street, National City, CA 91950 (619) 267-9566.
  Was nice talking to you yesterday, see you next time you’re in town! 
  —Ben, Albert J Hickman Post 460, The American Legion

Signature 

Chad Rat
ASA 67-71

Posted: 20 January 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1434
Joined  2008-08-18

A photo of Hal in September 2012 can be found here:

http://www.rimbachvets.org/index.php/gallery/image_full/1839/

Our thanks to Dave Vaughan (pictured left), and to Jim Menzie for forwarding.

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 11 March 2013 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
NCO
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2008-09-29

I met Hal at the 2004 reunion also.  I really enjoyed the short time I spent with him at the Dorfest and on the day we took the chairlift to the top of the mountain and hiked over to Cafe Schönblick.  At the Schönblick was, and I hope still is, a glass boot - Stiefel - that Hal had years ago presented to the owners of the cafe. 

Here Hal is holding the Stiefel.  http://www.rimbachvets.org/art/photos/sampson39_medium.jpg
Hal made it into several more reunion photos.

Signature 

Bill Blaisdell
Det K
98G3LCZ
Jul 1969-Jan 1972

‹‹ Roger Blauvelt      Dave Hubbard ››