New to the iPhone: Google Earth
Posted: 27 October 2008 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1434
Joined  2008-08-18

Just a few days after posting about smart phones comes a nice addition to the iPhone’s line-up of applications: Google Earth.

I’ve never played with Google Earth on my desktop/laptop, so this has been a first for me and, I have to admit, a lot of fun. First up, I looked up and zoomed in on the buildings in which Phillip works (apparently) in Cupertino, Calif., and was amazed at the resolution. It seems some parts of the country and world have higher resolution photos associated with them than other areas. Paris, for instance, is pretty low-resolution. But in Cupertino I can recognize the handicapped markers on parking spaces.

Next, of course, came Rimbach. While the resolution wasn’t as great as that in Cupertino, it still appeared better than that of Paris. And it’s great to get a good look at Rimbach any time you wish.

(Hey, Charlie, I see your house.)

The Hill is well represented, with the sites in clear view and linked to nice photos of each. A quick tap of a blue square, and the user is presented a photo and a title.

Not sure Google Earth is, as yet, anything but a nice time-waster for me. But be that as it may, it’s a very cool time-waster.

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975