Hydrogen Conversions
Posted: 03 November 2008 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
Day Lady
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-09-29

Hydrogen Generators are often called converters, and have been around for many years.  They use water and electrolysis to separate the hydrogen and oxygen.  I will be blogging my experiences with two vehicles.  Vehicle number one is a small car, 1998 Saturn SL1 with a 1.9 liter engine. It has been running as a hybrid on hydrogen made from water, and gasoline for 4 months now.  The other vehicle is a 2008 Toyota Tundra Double cab with a 5.7 liter engine which I have just started converting.  This conversion is on-going.

The first time I became interested in hydrogen as a fuel source was when oil prices shot up to near $150 a barrel, and gasoline cost $4 a gallon.  The 1998 Saturn SL1 was in good shape, driven by my wife and with low miles.  The car was not worth a great deal of money, and it was the perfect size to test with.  It is light weight and has a polymer body and small engine.

I will start with this Saturn SL1.  It has been a learning experience, but also a pleasant surprise.  I hope it may benefit others who are considering this technology.  My successes and failures will hopefully shorten the learning curve.