Electrical Connections
Posted: 16 November 2008 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Day Lady
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-09-29

Many people fear making electrical connections, when working on installing hydrogen generators in cars. Actually making a good connection is simple. The most feared part of hydrogen conversions, for the most part, seems to be connecting the Map Sensor Enhancer box. Nothing could be simpler, it’s quite easy to do. You only have to work with one wire, and although most fear it, it’s the simpliest thing of the entire hydrogen generator install to do, and it takes the least amount of time.

First off, vehicles use wire that is best crimped and not soldered. You can solder very fine wires when the car is brand new, but it is not necessary. All you really need is a crimping tool. See my picture. A good one costs around $6. Then you will need some crimp connectors. You can get these anywhere. Make sure you have a good assortment, small connector ends for small wires, and larger connector ends for larger wires like the connections to the battery terminals. You might wants large rings for those, so you can go around or under the battery terminals.

Either cut or peel back a bit of the plastic insulation, at the end of the wire you need to have a connector on. Expose the bare wire. You’ll only need a ¼ inch or so. Then take the wire, insert it into the connector until you see the wire coming out the other end. Using the handle of your crimping tool, put the connector and wire between the slots made for crimping. Use the slot that best fits your wire. Remember to use the handle, and not the holes at the top, those are for cutting. Then squash (another word for crimp) right below where the wire ends. I usually crimp mine in 2 places. That’s all there is to it. You have just put a connector end on a wire.

If you feel the wire might ever come into contact with anything nearby, you can get double protection by buying and using the overly long insulated connectors at the top of the picture. It’s impossible to short anything out with this type connector. Finally I use LOOM, which is the plastic sleeves you see wires encased in. This is simply curly black plastic tubes that have a slit cut from top to bottom. Loom is what you see everywhere in your car that has cables. You can buy it on-line, or from electrical supply places. Again not necessary, but it provides great protection, it makes your car look factory wired, and it is very inexpensive. I have never spent more than $8 on loom and that was enough sizes and footage to do both my vehicles