Armed Forces Network
Posted: 20 September 2008 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1434
Joined  2008-08-18

Reported by Wes Eller.

This may not really be such a tall tale as a tale of how innovative we were when we had to be. Mohammad Ali was going to fight. I don’t remember much else; I think the fight was in Africa. What I do remember was that the fight was going to be carried live on AFN TV, and I had to work the night of the fight (it was on a mid shift). Up the hill went the martyrs who had the misfortune to miss the night of the big event. Just about the time the fight was to begin, out rolled Shaky (Ben something or other, the Army maintenance guy) with an oscilloscope. He hooked it up to an antenna, and about 25 GIs crowded around a 4-inch square, green screen covered with half-inch grids. There were no complaints about picture quality. So what if it was in black and green! And, in case I forgot to tell you then, thanks, Ben!

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 20 September 2008 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1434
Joined  2008-08-18

Al Kohler comments: Ben Shaky “Whatshisname” was Ben Williams. He wasn’t a maintenance guy, he was one of the Army’s best 05K’s who could pull the weakest signal out of the air and get it to print and had the nerves to prove it! If you poured Ben a drink, you could only fill it about three-fourths full or he’d wind up wearing part of it. He was the guy who got the TV station on the “green screen.”

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 01 November 2017 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
NCO
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2008-09-29

Here it is nine years after Shaky’s thread was created and his name just came up over on the Rimbachvets Facebook site.  I would love to make sure all the various stories, etc., this site be preserved even though Facebook is the way we communicate now.  Bill and Glenn, please let us know how we can help keep this site current.

The Rumble in the Jungle was in 1974 so it had to have been a different fight.

Signature 

Bill Blaisdell
Det K
98G3LCZ
Jul 1969-Jan 1972