Smoking Equipment
Posted: 20 September 2008 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1434
Joined  2008-08-18

Reported by Glenn Miller.

It was tradition for the new people on the flights to be “initiated.” We got a length of cable from the maintenance shop and pulled the wire from its protective outer sheath. This gave us a 25-foot tube. In the wee hours, someone would crawl behind the equipment racks with the tube and insert it in the space between two pieces of equipment, pushing the tube to the front of the rack on which one of the new guys was sitting. Then, once the new guy was absorbed in his work, another of us would slowly blow cigarette smoke through the tube so that it would curl up the face of the equipment, making it look like the equipment was on fire. I well remember Roger Bartlett seeing the smoke and, using his badge as an insulator, throwing the switches on every piece of equipment on his rack. He was not amused at our little joke, but then, again, he never could take a joke. We also got Neil Harder one night by snaking the tube into his manual typewriter and having it smoke while he was transcribing.

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 30 September 2008 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-09-29

Neil was easy though. You could convince him that ice was flammable. Sweet guy though. He was my best friend for a long time, even as I stayed in the service and he separated in the early 80s. We lost track of each other just a few years ago. He lives up in Michigan now I think.

Rick Prokopchuk

Posted: 07 February 2009 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-02-04

Guys, as the guy who was definitely had by the smoking manual typewriter, I’d like to say I’m glad I found this site. Actually I separated in 1992, last assignment was at Meade after our Wing closed in 1991. I’m alive and ?well? up in Michigan, but just went to see my oldest son down in Fort Lauderdale, much warmer. Missed you Rick, sorry we lost contact. It appears that Bill Lamb and Glenn Miller need to be thanked for setting up this site. De’kuji und vielen Dank.  Neil

Posted: 07 February 2009 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-09-29

Hey Neil. How are you my friend? I hope all is well. Still got the short lady with you? smile  My email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Give me a holler if you please.

‹‹ Armed Forces Network      Donut Runs ››