40 MPG Toyota Tundra
Posted: 27 January 2009 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Day Lady
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-09-29

When I last posted results of my hydrogen conversion (2008 Toyota Tundra), I was averaging around 34.6 mpg highway. Since that time, I have been able to dial everything in much better, and closely tune the output of the hydrogen generator, as well as the hydrogen/gasoline mixture. I now run the Hydro Super 2 Double at 6 amps per cylinder. This allows one to hit the sweet spot of 8 amps, within 5 to 10 minutes. Maximum hydrogen output is attained over the entire trip duration. I now believe starting with 6amps straight out of the box, or when changing water will guarantee optimum results. Both my vehicles now use this 6 amps as starting point.

I now run the 2008 Toyota Tundra ( 5.7 liter engine), with 50% hydrogen & 50% gasoline in the city position. On the highway position, I use 70% hydrogen & 30% gasoline. The highway setting is a cruise position, and the engine really likes it. It runs very smooth, and almost silent. I also have taken thermal readings, and the engine runs 12 degrees cooler at this setting, than on straight gasoline. All settings are determined by the Mass Air Flow Sensor Enhancer installed in the cab, a simple dial.

I drove many miles over Christmas, and I was delighted with the results. In fact so delighted, that I almost feared my readings were wrong. In the following month I have confirmed these results, and duplicated them anew. My Christmas driving left me with a combined 40 MPG highway. I must confess that after obtaining 41.6 MPG on a near perfect front leg of the trip, 60 degrees, slight tail wind & slight decline in altitude, that I tried some of the hyper-mile tricks on the return leg. A cold front blew in, I was in high profile vehicle and facing 55 mph winds. It was very cold with some light freezing, and my mileage was dropping. I have always driven the speed limit, but this time I coasted with the wind. I drove a straight 65 mph, on a 70 mph road, and refused to accelerate climbing.

My spouse became annoyed with me, she was quite tired and wanted to get home. I was determined to get 40 MPG. By the time I got home late, I had exactly 40MPG on the scan gauge. I threw my arm up in victory, and shouted “YEAH”. The next day I took it to the service station and tanked. The final results were 39.4 mpg. Well almost anyway…

Posted: 23 March 2009 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Day Lady
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-09-29

Six more long trips in the Tundra, and average miles per gallon of 40.3 since January. My wife and I are so happy traveling in the Toyota Truck, that we have decided to sell the 1998 Saturn SL-1. The Saturn SL-1 will be replaced for city driving, by a 2010 Honda Insight, which I pre-ordered. It should be arriving on or before April 1st, and will be one of the first 2 Honda Insight 2010 Models arriving in Lubbock. I have no plans to change anything on the Honda Insight Hybrid, since several test car drivers have confirmed around 65 mpg highway in Eco-Mode, and 55 mpg driving in the sports mode. This despite the EPA numbers which are lower, and were done before the final production model. The Tundra will be my only Hydrogen vehicle now. I have been assisting others in installing Hydrogen Generators on their cars and trucks, and my next project is to install a Hydrogen Generator on a 2008 PT Cruiser. Maria and I will miss our first Hydrogen Vehicle, and the fact that it could run without gasoline some of the time. I will always have fond memories of the long trip we took through 4 states, plains, mountains, snow and ice. Many thanks to Loran Unger and his wife whom we met for the first time, and stayed with in Colorado Springs. He treated us like royality, and we became good friends. Thanks too to Les Fulsome whom we have known for many years. He was more than gracious, it’s too bad that our trip was cut short by the lake effect snow storm that was supposed to dump 19 inches of snow on Salt lake City. Only a moderate amount actually fell, but in a 1998 Saturn, with about 4 inches of ground clearance we could not take the chance.

So on to my very first Electric Hybrid car, and hopefully more fond memories. Come and visit me this time Les! That goes for any of the Rimbach group who happen this way.