The 6913th SS Patch
Posted: 20 September 2008 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1434
Joined  2008-08-18

Reported by Glenn Miller.

I remember when the USAFSS unit in Rimbach was being turned into a squadron in preparation for its eventual move to Augsburg. There was a competition of sorts to come up with a unit patch that would symbolize the unit’s mission and designation. The patch that was finally adopted and approved by HQ AF was the one shown below (although it originally said 6913 Security Squadron). The black cat was chosen to symbolize the number 13 and the “black” craft we practiced, but we all agreed there should have been a flame coming out of the cat’s ass (that symbolism was deemed self-explanatory).

As a side note, on the FS Augsburg Web site there’s a list of former 6913th commanders. The real first commander of the 6913th (Security Squadron) was Major Gary Belcher (who replaced Harold J. “Buzz” Businger) when the 6913th was still at Rimbach. I have re-enlistment paperwork from back then showing Maj. Belcher as commander. I also have paperwork showing his replacement, Captain John Reid, as commander in 1975 just before I left.

Image Attachments
6913ess.jpg
 Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 30 September 2008 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-09-29

You know, I remember Businger as the commander when I got there in 74, but I absolutely do not recall Belcher at all. Strange. Capt. Reid put on oak leaf clusters up in Augsburg and about the same time tacked on my Staff Sgt stripes. I believe Major Reid actually made Colonel. It was kind of a sad thing, having been one of the first bunch at Augsburg and the last bunch when they shut the 13th down in 91. I went from a Sgt in Rimbach to a MSgt in Augsburg and an air team member as the flight commander of Baker flight, and the last enlisted flight commander of the unit.

Posted: 30 September 2008 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1022
Joined  2008-08-28

Gary Belcher is retired here in San Angelo.  I just got an e-mail from the FTVA secretary announcing the next Heritage Chapter meeting tomorrow evening and Belcher was an addressee.  I thought he retired in San Antonio.

Signature 

——————————————————————-
Glenn Miller - AA5PK
USAFSS/Rimbachvet Aug ‘72 - Jun ‘75

Posted: 07 February 2009 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-02-04

Yup, the patch was Security Squadron. I still remember Major Businger picking Doug Basler and me up from Hohenfels. We had gotten the wrong train ticket from Rhein Main and were stuck there. I remember the name Belcher, not the man. Rick’s right about Reid pinning on the oak leafs in Augsburg. I also recall the change from senior enlisted flight commanders like Loran Unger to the young officers in Augsburg. Big difference.