On the Poop Patrol for Poop Popsicles
Posted: 23 March 2009 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-03-19

Living 24/7 on the hill was probably a little different than the regular shifts that were worked when Mt. Hoherbogen was called Eckstein. For us S&M Company guys (some one sure had a sense of humor.. S and M??), snow came early and there was always plenty to shovel. One of the good things we had on the Hill was our site mascot Sam. A beast of a German Shepherd Dog, who some said weighed 110 pounds.  All winter, Sam loved the cold, and would even sleep outside in the snow piles. At times you would call his name and a snow pile would jump up and shake off. He loved to chew rocks in the summer and he would pull icicles off the roof in the winter. New guys came and went, and Sam would always choose one as his mascot. He was his favorite until the FIGMO orders went up and then Sam would choose another. Yes, he was a big loveable fellow, big as a horse and could crap like one too! All winter he would do his business out in the snow heaps. Crap here and crap there, and more snow would cover the freshly laid poop. This was all well and good until spring came. As the snow melted, the poop popsicles would appear and begin their defrost cycle! Thus yearly, like spring cleaning, we would be out on the Poop Patrol, a shovel and a bucket in hand. It was a dirty job, one fitting of Mike Rowe, but some one had to do it. Sam was about the best dog friend a guy could have. Everyone loved him. I was fortunate to be his mascot for almost two years. It was there that I found my love for Shepherds, while walking inside the perimeter on Poop Patrol, looking for the defrosted gifts of another Bavarian winter and a friend who had no equal.

Signature 

Joe Greene
La Faire Vite
1979- 1982

Posted: 23 March 2009 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2008-09-29

What a great “tail”. The Det was the home to a number of Huge shepherds.  Because the site in those days was only seasonable, they usually were adopted by the Wartners at the Schoenblick.  The one I knew or at least met was Shadow (or was it Spook?)  He was a big lummox and loved to beg at the table.  Once I went to eat supper and he was asleep and did not notice that I came in (or wanted) to eat.  I was about half way into my Schnitzel when he started up with a surprised look on his face and sat down at my table.  He was big enough that he could rest his head in the table and drool. It did not bother me but “Mutti” pitched a fit.  He was a great dog.

Posted: 23 March 2009 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1434
Joined  2008-08-18

Great story and great addition to the Tall Tales section, especially as it pertains to the Le Faire Vite site, and we have a paucity of stories from there.

Thanks!

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 23 March 2009 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1916
Joined  2008-09-29

Paucity?

Posted: 23 March 2009 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-18
Kaipo Simpson - 23 March 2009 08:53 PM

Paucity?

The presence of something only in small or insufficient quantities.

Signature 

Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 23 March 2009 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-29

Oh, like my vocabulary. LOL

Posted: 24 March 2009 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-29

So paucity is the opposite of plethora?

Posted: 24 March 2009 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-18

Works for me.

Signature 

Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 24 March 2009 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-29

A plethora of poop and a paucity of tales.
LOL

Posted: 30 September 2016 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-09-29

Old Sam scared the crap outta me one night.  It was during Fasching of 1973 and i was getting like 2 hours of sleep a night for about a week.  I was working Mids and I was alone in the Guard shack (MP), and the wind was blowing all the snow around and it was damned spooky out.  LOL Well I was trying my best to perform my duties with all the pomp and circumstance I could muster,  (Lucky I didn’t fall asleep standing up haha) but like clockwork I was asleep by 230am, at least I think i was.  Anyway I was beginning to hallucinate after all the little sleep I had been getting, and was sort of zoning out on the gate and the snow blowing around spookily and all of a sudden a great white beast came bounding out of the night and damn near ran me down and if i had been more awake I probably would have shot it or myself but just in time Sam came to sliding halt and sort of shook all the snow off and looked at me and perhaps smiled at me about making me nearly crap my pants.  He then sauntered off into the deep shadows of the lights and snow and I was able to stay up for the rest of the night without any problems.  LOL at least that is what i remember.  I thought it was giant werewolf haha, man was I tired.  When I got off I slept for like 15 hrs and never looked at Sam the same way again.

Posted: 30 September 2016 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-29

good one…

‹‹ The most important building      Muling! ››