Mouse Tale
Posted: 20 September 2008 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1434
Joined  2008-08-18

Reported by Kaipo Simpson.

During the winter, field mice came to live with us on top of the mountain. They’d be in your AWOL bag after your supper or would crawl in your clothes when you were trying to take a mid nap. That’s why I ended up on three steno chairs-one under my shoulders, one under my butt, and one under my feet. I move around when I sleep and would wiggle my way across the room during my “nap”. Anyway, we came to work one mid and one of the pigeon holes on the analyst’s desk was plugged up with a sign on it saying “Don’t open till Christmas.” It was already January, I think. Someone (I don’t remember who) decided to see what it was behind the sign. He got real close and pulled the sign off. There was a paper wad plugging the hole. He got even closer and pulled the wad out and out came this poor mouse making its break for freedom. It ended up in his shirt and ran down his pants before it got out his pants leg. I never saw so much hollering and dancing in all my life.

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 23 January 2016 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-01-21

Hey, what a great story, and (bear with me, people, as I just got to the site, so I feel like the guy in the basement of the library!!) does anyone remember, during the winter of ‘73-‘74, when we actually had a cat on shift, which, it developed, was a good “mouser”?  The cat, of course, did not go down the hill on the trick bus, but stayed on the hill… so a competition developed (those with tender sensibilities should take the side door now…) among the tricks… I remember clearly coming on shift, and seeing the “body count” placed on the snow drift as we entered the MP shack—that was the “score” claimed by the cat during the shift just ended… this went on for a week or so, I guess, until someone (probably management) decided it was offensive (how about health and safety?), and the cat had to be adopted by someone and leave the hill.  Yeah, those cable “tunnels” were an ideal place for both mice and cats!  Does anyone recall if we named the cat?

Signature 

Gene Baker

Posted: 23 January 2016 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1916
Joined  2008-09-29

I wish I could remember that but I don’t…

Posted: 23 March 2016 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
NCO
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2008-09-29

Welcome Eugene Baker - sorry I did not see you here before.  I think I might have posted this somewhere else on the site a long time ago, but it seems to be on topic. One of my winters on the hill - probably 1970, because we had a tremendous amount of snow that year - we had a real bad mouse infestation.  One of the guys who lived at the Farmhouse in Madersdorf brought one of the barn cats up to the OPs building (we were in the Quonset Hut).  Down through a hole in the floor it immediately went.  It would occasionally come up to visit briefly or to bring a trophy.  Within a couple of weeks that cat had noticeably put on weight.  It got into a real battle in back of one of the racks on night with creature that turned out to be a shrew. Man did that shrew put a up a battle.  I think the cat finally killed the shrew but had no interest in making a meal of it.

Signature 

Bill Blaisdell
Det K
98G3LCZ
Jul 1969-Jan 1972