More To The Story
Posted: 20 September 2008 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  1435
Joined  2008-08-18

Reported by Art McMaster (1964-65).

I can add a bit to the excellent background provided by my fellow Czech speaker Chuck Ryan. Chuck and I were about three classes apart at Monterey — thus probably about 6 months apart in our assignment times — except that we were all only 3-year ASA people then. No AF and no women.

The NCOIC on HB was Rick Phelps. Rick was probably an E-7 then. He went on to make E-9 and I think he was in Berlin for a while after the “early years.” Rick Phelps was a good NCO. He kept the officers from Herzo out of our hair.

I can’t even imagine working on that mountain in the winter. We set up in 292-vans in mid-April of 1965. That was my only experience. Didn’t live in the Silberbauer, but further up the road toward the site with about 8 other guys, including Roland Thomas. My good friend Brian Holmes, an 058 guy, was at the Silberbauer, so I got to spend some time there, too. Herr Silberbauer (if that was his name) had been a US POW and spent time in Alabama. He loved the US and seemed kindly disposed toward us.

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany

‹‹ The Acid Test      Summer Memories, Part II ››