The most important building
Posted: 02 October 2008 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2008-09-29

The most important building.

You probably never wondered about how the army numbers its buildings.  Unlike civilian numbering, which is logical by street, the army (and I would guess, the Air Force) numbers by the order they were built.  This accounts for the random placement of different buildings on a post.

In 1967 at the old Hoherbogen site, there were only two buildings, the out house and the guard shack.  The out house was the first on site and was therefor Building 1.  The guard shack came up with the main contingent of troops and was therefore Building 2. Obviously the most important of the two was Building 1 as it was used regularly by all hands.  It was also a very special place and as such was given very special treatment.  It was with pride that the Det Commander pointed out that it was a two holer and he instructed that nothing should be spared to make sure that Building 1 was the absolute finest possible.  An emergency request for two Sears cataloges was made to hang on the walls (just in case to TP should run out.  He was unable to find appropriate corn cobs.  Also as a coup de gras, music was piped in so as to sweeten the time spent there. Yes, it was a very special place.

Because it was so special, all visiting big wigs, from Generals on down were invited to visit Building 1 as a part of their tour of the site.  All were amazed at the pride displayed in Building 1 and how well it was taken care of!

As time progressed, Col. Hackwood of ASA Europe was going to retire.  As a farewell to all he was going to tour all of the sites, including us on Hoherbogen.  Someone in headquarters thought it would be nice to name Hoherbogen “Hackwood Hill”.  On site, that went over like something to be deposited in Building 1.  Never the less , we were presented a sign with the words “Hackwood Hill” and ordered to hang it on the gate, which was done.  To put it mildly, resentment was very high and the guys (there were no girls in those days, otherwise we would have needed a three holer) took to throwing rocks at the sign.  It sort of fell on me to protect the sign at least until after Col Hackwood’s visit.  The defense of the sign proved to not be so difficult when after one day, I loudly announced I was going to Building 1 to take a hackwood.  A what?, I was asked, a hackwood, I replied.  Yes, a hackwood!  From then on Building 1 was called the Hackwood House on Hackwood Hill and there was no more vandalism of the sign.  Yes, the sign came down after the visit.

Posted: 02 October 2008 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1388
Joined  2008-08-18

Brilliant! I’d never heard that one.

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975