Chuck Haverlah
Posted: 06 March 2010 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1697
Joined  2008-09-29

I just got off the phone with Bill Lamb.

He’d received a call from Karen Haverlah (Chuck’s ex-wife) who told him Chuck Haverlah died yesterday from injuries sustained when a car hit him as he rode his bicycle to work in Sulfur Springs, TX.

Bill will get more details on the accident and funeral services.

There is an article in the Sulfur Springs paper but it keeps timing out.

Posted: 06 March 2010 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1381
Joined  2008-08-18

Their Web site is still unreachable. I ran a Google search thinking maybe the story had been picked up elsewhere. The Sulphur Springs paper’s story is listed in that search. The brief just says:

“A Sulphur Springs man, 58, was killed early Friday morning after being hit while riding his bicycle. Chuck Haverlah was said to have been ...”

There’s an obituary listed for “Milton Earl Haverlah” as well, but it’s unreachable too.

I spoke with Chuck’s daughter Iris by phone. Services will be held at 5 p.m. Sunday, March 7, at Tapp Funeral Home, 216 Gilmore Street, in Sulphur Springs. I’ll be attending and will pass on the condolences of all Rimbach vets who knew and loved Chuck.

Signature 

6913th Security Squadron USAF
Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 06 March 2010 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
NCO
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2008-09-29

After several tries this link finally worked:
https://www.myssnews.com/news-telegram/news/9349-man-on-bicycle-dies-after-being-hit-from-behind.html

Just in case the website goes back to timing everyone out here is the article:

Man on bicycle dies after being hit from behind

A Sulphur Springs man, 58, was killed early Friday morning after being hit while riding his bicycle.

Chuck Haverlah was said to have been traveling north on the College Street overpass at Interstate 30 at about 6:20 a.m. Friday when he was struck from behind by a van, also traveling north on the College Street overpass. Haverlah was thrown from his bicycle upon impact with the vehicle. Haverlah is believed to have died instantly.

“He died on impact from massive head trauma,” Sulphur Springs Police Chief Jim Bayuk said late Friday morning.

Haverlah was pronounced dead at the scene by Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace Yvonne King, who has ordered an autopsy, as is generally standard operating procedure in automobile crashes resulting in death.

The man driving the van which struck Haverlah was transported to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital. Police had not released the name of the van driver, and said they were unsure late Friday morning of his condition. He was able to speak with officers following the crash, and was not thought to have any severe injuries.

Police are still investigating the bicycle-vehicle crash, aided by Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Bill Reese, an accident reconstruction expert.

“Right now, the investigation is ongoing,” Bayuk said. “He was riding to work on the right side of the road. Apparently the van operator did not see him. He [the van driver] stopped. Someone else driving by called it in. Right now, as far as cause, we’re investigating it as we would any other vehicle-pedestrian or bicycle fatality.”

Funeral arrangements for Milton Earl “Chuck” Haverlah are pending with Tapp Funeral Home.

Signature 

Bill Blaisdell
Det K
98G3LCZ
Jul 1969-Jan 1972

Posted: 06 March 2010 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-18

I got through for the official obituary and photo:

https://www.myssnews.com/news-telegram/obituaries/9365-milton-earl-chuck-haverlah.html

Milton Earl “Chuck” Haverlah, 58, passed away suddenly after a fatal accident on Friday, March 5, 2010.

Memorial service: Sunday, March 7, 2010, 5 p.m. at Tapp Funeral Home.

Memorials: Please send all memorials to United Blood Services, P.O. Box 1867, Scottsdale, AZ, 85252-1867 or unitedbloodservices.org.

Chuck was born May 13, 1951, in Alice, Texas. Growing up in Orange Grove, he helped farm his family’s land through high school and was a member of the Bulldog football team. After graduating from high school, he enlisted with the United States Air Force. In the U.S. Air Force, Chuck was stationed in Augsburg, Germany; Monterey, California; and San Angelo, Texas. Chuck progressed through several ranks, retiring after 20 years of service as a Tech Sergeant. After retiring from the Air Force, Chuck began a career in municipal water service and wastewater management for the City of San Angelo, accepted a superintendent position with the City of Sulphur Springs, and retired from municipal government service. In the past few years, he worked with several organizations and other individuals in various capacities.

Chuck was loved by all who knew him. As a good friend, he was trustworthy and dependable in everything.

Chuck was preceded in death by a brother, Jimmy, and father, Louis.

Survivors: His wife, Mary Ann; mother, El Doris Haverlah; brother, Harvey Haverlah; sisters, Odell Shenefield, Marilyn Anderson, and Vernice Thomas; son, Ryan Haverlah; daughters, Iris Boyd and Kyra Haverlah; stepchildren, Jeffrey Bryant, Michele Spence, and Christine Brooks; and grandchildren, Dylan and Ashleigh Boyd.

Image Attachments
Chuck Haverlah.jpgChuck and Karen Haverlah.jpg
 Signature 

Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 06 March 2010 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  896
Joined  2008-08-28

Very sad news.

Signature 

——————————————————————-
Glenn Miller - AA5PK
USAFSS/Rimbachvet Aug ‘72 - Jun ‘75

Posted: 07 March 2010 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2008-09-29

May he rest in peace.

Posted: 07 March 2010 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Weed
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-11-12

Sad moment for all of us who knew Chuck - he was a GOOD man.

AL Kohler

Signature 

Alan R (AL) Kohler

Posted: 08 March 2010 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-18

Phil Wetzel, his wife Deb and I attended the memorial service for Chuck this evening in Sulphur Springs.

It’s a testament to Chuck that about 250 people turned out for the service, and possibly more. That’s just a quick count by Phil and I. There were people standing in the hallway who couldn’t get into the service area.

I could never adequately describe the service, so I won’t try. I’ll just note a few things.

Chuck’s son Ryan gave a marvelous eulogy. I found myself sitting there wishing I had a recording of it so you guys could hear it.

His children went through his photos and produced a slideshow. About three of the photos were clearly from his days in Germany, and each showed Chuck with a beer in his hand. Had to grin at those. They really brought back some memories.

Afterward, we met Chuck’s children for the first time. I shook hands with Ryan and introduced myself. He said Karen had phoned him earlier to let them know I’d be there. I told him that Chuck had dozens more friends scattered around the world who would love to have attended and to just consider us their representatives.

Ryan introduced his wife and smiled for the first time that evening when he said she was expecting a child. “To carry on the name,” he added.

I spoke only briefly with his two daughters, Iris and Kyra. There were pretty broken up, understandably.

It was a particularly wrenching death, I think, because it was so unexpected. With us one moment, gone the next. Just a senseless accident.

But in a sense Chuck’s not gone. Any time many of us sit around and think of our days in Rimbach, we’ll think of Chuck as part of those times. I know I will.

Signature 

Rimbach, West Germany
1974-1975

Posted: 08 March 2010 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
DIRNSA
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1697
Joined  2008-09-29

Glad you went and let the family know of the other lives Chuck touched.

Thanks, Bill.

‹‹ Thomas Devereaux Obit      Jim Richey ››