DLI Alumni Association help with our proposed reunion
Posted: 28 August 2010 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1017
Joined  2008-08-28

Last week, while I was TDY to the Presidio of Monterey, I had lunch with Ben de la Selva, President of the DLI Alumni Assn.

During lunch we discussed the DLI Open House scheduled for November 5 and the anniversary ball on November 6.

Ben said if our group decided to come to the PoM during the open house, it would make getting everyone on the Presidio easier since it’ll be open to the public that day.  But, since our group would largely be DLI alumni, he’d still treat us as a separate group and make arrangements for us to visit classrooms, tour facilities, etc. separate from the public masses.

After lunch, he took me to several of the language schools where we looked in on classes in session and he introduced me to the deans of the three Arabic schools (there used to be three schools of Russian) as well as the dean of the European languages school (where the Russian courses now reside).  They no longer teach Czech, but she told me many of the former Czech instructors are still kicking around in other departments. 

Interesting to note that, when I mentioned I’d been in Intermediate Russian back in ‘83-‘84, the dean said Intermediate Russian (and, I assume, other intermediate courses) was taught in the old hospital building at what used to be Ft Ord (now Ord Military Community).  Not enough classroom space at the Presidio.  And what used to be “the Russian Village” is now the Persian/Farsi language school. 

Ben also introduced me to the PoM Public Affairs Officer and Protocol Officer and I picked up a copy of the Open House schedule of events.

In order for him to help our group, he needs a pretty firm number of attendees, the sooner the better.  I told him we had about 20 who’d expressed more than a passing interest in attending, but I’d let him know.  As to the ball, he said last year all 300 tickets sold out.  They’d just started selling tickets for this year’s ball and they were going fast.

Photos from last year’s ball may be viewed here: 68th DLI Anniversary Ball

Signature 

——————————————————————-
Glenn Miller - AA5PK
USAFSS/Rimbachvet Aug ‘72 - Jun ‘75

Posted: 03 September 2010 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1431
Joined  2008-08-18

Two! Me and Phillip! smile

Signature